Saturday, December 19, 2015

Hike 2015.098 -- Altadena Drive to Henninger Flats

Hiked Saturday, December 19. Thanks to two short hikes I squeezed in yesterday (still to be blogged), today's hike was number 98 for the year. I will now only need a very doable two hikes next weekend, or at least two more hikes in the next 11 days. If it comes down to it, I'll do an after-dark hike up Mount Hollywood, again.
This trail starts off of Altadena Drive, just north of New York Drive. The trails drops down, crosses the driveway for the Nature Center, then passes behind the Nature Center before joining the regular trail, north of the parking lot. This adds maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile each way to if you parked near the gate, down below.
The trail crosses Eaton Canyon Wash (usually drive, but occasionally full of water), then heads north. Pass Coyote Canyon (first sign on the right), then take the trail up Walnut Canyon. This joins the Toll Road after a short but steep 1/2 mile or so. Then follow the Toll Road to Henninger Flats. Good climb. About six miles, roundtrip. My Fitbit (set at 16,000 steps, or 6 miles) buzzed as I approached my car on the way back. Not sure how many steps I had before I left for the morning.
The weather changed dramatically, from perfectly still, to gathering storm by noon. By tonight, of course, the rain really let loose. It's the second time in as many weeks that a clear sky in the morning gave way to at least some rain by evening.
My two hikes yesterday were in Joshua Tree National Park. I'm going to try to get those posted this week, so I can post may 99th and 100th hikes before the end of the year (I hope). I also have a number of older hikes that I'd like to post before the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment